Thursday, January 8, 2015

(Fizzy) Fruit Kvass

(Fizzy) Fruit Kvass*


I am sharing my favorite recipe that I use the most, (certainly you can do many variations)  because I have so many people ask me all the time and I thought it would be easier to share here than type all the time. 

*I learned about this recipe for Fruit Kvass from Rebecca Wood (her site is http://www.rebeccawood.com/) please support her work.    I have been doing fermented foods for quite some time and so when I ran across the Fruit Kvass I knew it would be something I would like.  I now do mine a little different with ginger bug added, but you can do it with our without. It will be Fizzy Fruit Kvass if you add the Ginger Bug, or regular if not.  :D your choice.

On my Herb Page I have tons of different ones I have done and they are all yummy. Please check them out at https://www.facebook.com/mawmawkelli

Supplies

Ginger Bug (about 1/4 of a cup or so)  (optional see note below)
Apple*  
Raspberries*
Strawberries*
Local RAW honey (yes it has to be raw)
Clean Mason Jar
Recap Mason lid
S-lock and Rubber plug (or my friend Bonnie likes the perfect pickler)
Spring or Filtered water (I don’t use tap)
            *I grow or forage for my fruit OR buy organic if you can

Directions:

Slice half of the apple (if you use a large mason jar you may want to use all of it) and Add it and the Strawberries and Raspberries (I like to smash them a little, but if they are frozen that’s ok)  to the clean jar.
Add 1 Tablespoon of honey and then add your filtered water.  I shake it up really really, really well.
You can add a plastic lid and shake for a few days and then put your fermenting lid on, or just add your fermenting lid right at first. I have done both.
Ferment for about 3-8 days. (I usually do about 7 days personally) or longer if you like. 

UPDATE:  If you want to do your fruit kvass first and then do a secondary fermentation with the Ginger bug that works too.  You may want to add a tiny bit of sugar for the secondary ferment (the sugar is not for you the sugar is for the ferment) 

Ginger Bug:

If you like it a little fizzy like soda then add a little Ginger Bug and then do the same recipe above.  I love this version!!!  This is how I make mine all the time now!  So a better title would be Fizzy Fruit Kvass (So I edited the title to reflect that. The picture below is a normal fruit kvass, not the fizzy fruit kvass.