Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Garlic Oil

Garlic Oil


I wanted to share how I make my garlic oil. This is something that most people have on hand all the time and so it is easy to have available.  Because garlic can be pretty heating, I make it a little different than some people.  I am not saying how other people make it is wrong and I am right or vice versa. This is just how I like it to be less harsh, personally.

Supplies:


I whole bulb of garlic
½- 1 cup of Olive oil--I  don’t really measure I just put enough in there to cover the garlic well.

Directions:


I chop up a whole bulb of garlic and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
I add the garlic and olive oil in a pan.
I put these two in a double boiler (with your water in the bottom pan)
I put this on low to low med. Temperature.  WATCH IT at first make sure it is not too high.
I let this macerate on low for a while. I never really time it, I just smell and taste here and there.  It should be garlicky.  Don't 'cook the garlic' per se.  just want a nice heat to infuse the garlic in the oil. 

Then I strain off the garlic and add it to a clean glass jar and put it in the refrigerator for storage. 

You could also just let the garlic sit in the oil and use solar infusion. Typically though when I need it, I NEED IT NOW, so this is what I do.  

USE:

I find it goes on nicely if it is refrigerated and I want it to last so I keep it in there.

I use this on the bottom of my feet at nighttime if I have a cold, congestion, or times when I feel icky stuff coming on.  I have even used it for allergies and sinus crud. I do this three nights in a row but for more severe issues, you can use twice or day and for longer. 

Note:

This is too strong for ear oil.   Ear oil (with mullein flowers and St. Johns Wort and garlic will have a lower garlic concentration)