Monday, October 5, 2015

What Herb is Good for That?

What Herb is Good for That?


When people find out I am an herbalist, most of the time the first thing they say is ‘What herb is good for x’  And in most cases (unless it is something fairly simple) I say the same thing, ‘That depends on the person.’  I say that not because I am trying to be ugly or snotty, or anything negative. But I learned a long time ago, that it is more important to know the person that has the disease, than the disease the person has (thanks David Winston that has always stuck with me).

Its not enough to know a few symptoms. I like to sit down with people and do a full consult. I like to make nutritional suggestions, herbal suggestions, suggestions on exercise, stress management, etc.  When you sit down with  a professional not only can you get an objective party to look at the situation as a gestalt, but you will also be more in control. Why? Because you will realize you have options that can make a difference, if you chose to put them into practice, then you feel like you can succeed in your health journey.  I cannot  offer professional, sound advice,  and really help that person the best, unless I can know a little about them, their allergies, medications, energetics or constitution,  their dietary and sleep habits, etc.

What I may give one person with a warm constitution most likely will NOT be what I give a person with a cold constitution.  (So you could see where one herb wouldn’t be the magic pill for a certain disease state).

When you match the plant to the person and help them with nutrition, stress management,  help identify food allergies, or environmental allergies, etc, then you (if they are willing to take that step and stick with the protocol) will have more success with in the long run and then they will really get the best benefit of the time you spend together.

 I do NOT believe in using an herb (herbs) to cover up a disease condition. Although I will often use herbs in many cases to help get the ball rolling. I do, however,  believe in looking at the root and trying to work with herbs, nutrition, and other basic therapeutics to create a better chance for the vital force (or inner doctor) to do its work. This helps people in the long run with a healthier lifestyle and better health to do more of the things they enjoy. 

Green Blessings

Maw-Maw Kelli
Kelli R. Hughart, M.A.Ed, Herbalist